CBI Approaches Interpol To Locate Nirav Modi

A Nirav Modi boutique in New Delhi.   -  Kamal Narang

New Delhi, Feb 16

The CBI has approached the Interpol to locate billionaire jewellery designer Nirav Modi and his family who had left the country in the first week of January, weeks before the scam was reported to the agency, officials said.

Officials said the CBI has approached the Interpol with a request for issuing Diffusion Notice which was aimed at locating an individual.

“This (diffusion) is less formal than a notice but is also used to request the arrest or location of an individual or additional information in relation to a police investigation. A diffusion is circulated directly by an NCB (CBI in this case) to the member countries of their choice, or to the entire INTERPOL membership and is simultaneously recorded in Interpol’s Information System,” the website of Interpol says.

The CBI was confident about getting a location of Modi and his family by today, they said.

Revocation of passports sought

Modi, who was alleged to have carried out fraudulent transactions worth over Rs 11,400 crore in Punjab National Bank, had left the country in the first week.of January. The 46-year old, who holds an Indian passport, left India on January 1, while his brother Nishal, a Belgian citizen, departed from the country on the same day. However, whether they travelled together has to be probed, they said.

Modi’s wife Ami, a US citizen, left on January 6 and his uncle and business partner Mehul Choksi, the promoter of Gitanjali jewellery chain, left on January 4, the officials said.

The CBI and the Enforcement Directorate have approached the government seeking revocation of passports of Modi and Choksi.

The billionaire diamond merchant, a regular on the lists of rich and famous Indians since 2013, was booked by the CBI, along with wife, brother and Choksi on January 31, for allegedly cheating the state-run Punjab National Bank to the tune of Rs 280 crore.

The bank again approached the CBI within a fortnight of the first complaint giving details of more transactions which were over Rs 11,400 crore.

The question as to why the PNB did not send a complaint to the CBI and decided to give it in tranches is also under the scanner of the agency, they said. The bank has claimed in three complaints to the CBI that so far it has detected 150 Letters of Undertaking (LoUs) which were fraudulently issued by its officials in connivance with Modi and the other accused in the case, the officials said.

Published on February 16, 2018

" + ""; if(isDeviceEnabled("[large, medium]")) { d.write(adcode); } }(document);

" + ""; if(isDeviceEnabled("[large, medium]")) { d.write(adcode); } }(document);
RECENT NEWS

USAA Ranked Highest By J.D. Power For Second Consecutive Year For Member Satisfaction In Individual Annuities

USAA continues to set the standard for personalized, efficient and reliable service across the industry. Read more

USAA Launches “Honor Through Action,” Committing $500 Million Over Five Years To Champion The Military Community

Movement will focus on meaningful careers, financial security and well-being for our nation’s veterans and military fa... Read more

USAA Extends Government Shutdown Relief, Totaling More Than $411M To Its Members

Nov 05 2025 SAN ANTONIO – November 5 – As the government shutdown continues, USAA is e... Read more

USAA To Serve As Title Sponsor For HYROX Dallas In November 2025

Through military veteran athletes, content and onsite activation, USAA will elevate the importance of well-being through... Read more

USAA Delivers Advice, Financial Assistance As Government Shutdown Continues

           FOR THE LATEST DATA ON USAA SHUTDOWN RELIEF, VISIT USAA STORIES: LINK Read more

UPDATE: USAA Delivers $150 Million In Loans Within 48 Hours To Serve Members Impacted By Government Shutdown

FOR THE MOST UP-TO-DATE DATA ON USAA SHUTDOWN ACTIVITY, VISIT USAA STORIES: LINK Read more